Keeping your account safe
By holding an account with us, you’re entrusting us with the security of your information; we take that responsibility seriously.
We do a lot of work behind the scenes to keep your information safe. If you’re curious to know more about this work, check out our Security policy.
There are also security measures that you can take plus security features that are built right into your account, and those are what we’ll talk about here.
Things you can do
There are many, many steps you can take in order to keep your identity and your account secure. Some of these may seem obvious and others a little more obscure:
- Keep your Simple username and passphrase (aka password) private.
- Create long, complex passphrases or passwords. We’re a big fan of password managers (software that’ll generate, store, and auto-fill passwords) that allow you to create and use strong, unique passwords for every account.
- If any of your information is accidentally exposed, or you think you may be a victim of identity theft, check out this great guide by the Federal Trade Commission. It offers tons of specific, expert advice.
- Keep your computer software up to date with security updates from vendors.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malware.
- Be alert against possible phishing attempts. We’ll never send (or request) personal information via email. If we do need to discuss sensitive information, we’ll send you a secure support message through your account.
Security features built into your account
Two-factor authentication (or 2FA): This is a process that verifies your identity with two different components. ATMs employ 2FA by requiring two things (your physical card, and knowledge of your PIN) in order to withdraw cash. 2FA is a great additional safeguard. We do 2FA by sending a code to the phone number we have on file for you; and we use 2FA for password reset, updating your information, verifying contacts, or moving large sums. We're also rolling out 2FA for log-ins right now! If you'd like to get it a bit early,and we'll hook you up.
Push notifications: If you have push notifications enabled, we’ll send you one every time you make a transaction. That way, if there are any unexpected transactions on your account, you’ll know right away—without needing to log in and check.
Block card: Instantly block or unblock your card on the web or with our mobile apps.
Fraud protection: There are many consumer protections in place to limit individual liability in cases of fraud, and we abide by all of them. Plus we go above and beyond: your Simple card is protected by Visa’s Zero Liability policy*, and our team will do everything they can to support you through the situation. Check out our Fraud Protection article for all the details.
*Visa's Zero Liability Policy covers U.S.-issued cards and does not apply to certain commercial card transactions, or any transactions not processed by Visa. You must notify your financial institution immediately of any unauthorized use. For specific restrictions, limitations and other details, please consult your issuer.