Keeping your account safe
By holding an account with us, you’re entrusting us with the security of your information; we take that responsibility seriously. We do a lot of work behind the scenes to keep your information safe. Check out our Security policy for more details on this work.
Here, we’ll cover the security features we’ve built into your account, plus some additional steps that you can take to keep your information secure.
Security features built into your account
Two-factor authentication (or 2FA): When you sign in to your Simple account, or you attempt to make certain transactions, we’ll send a verification code to the phone number we have on file for you. (We currently send verification codes via text message, though we’re exploring other options that we may offer in the future). You’ll need to enter this code within the app in order to proceed. 2FA is a crucial extra layer of security, so it’s automatically enabled. If you’re not able to receive our verification codes, though, give us a call at 888-248-0632 (or at our international number, 1 (424) 652-5294, if you’re outside the U.S.). We can help.
Push notifications: If you have push notifications enabled, we’ll send you one every time you make a transaction. That way, if there are any unexpected transactions on your account, you’ll know right away—without needing to log in and check.
Block card: Instantly block or unblock your card on the web or with our mobile apps.
Fraud protection: There are many consumer protections in place to limit individual liability in cases of fraud, and we abide by all of them. Plus we go above and beyond: your Simple card is protected by Visa’s Zero Liability policy,1 and our team will do everything they can to support you. Check out our Fraud Protection article for all the details.
Things you can do to protect your information
There are many, many steps you can take in order to keep your identity and your account secure. Some of these may seem obvious and others a little more obscure:
- Keep your Simple username and password private.
- Create a long, complex password. We’re a big fan of password managers (software that’ll generate, store, and auto-fill passwords) that allow you to create and use strong, unique passwords for every account.
- Keep your computer software up to date with security updates from vendors.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malware.
- Be alert against possible phishing attempts.
- We’ll never send (or request) personal information via email. If we do need to discuss sensitive information, we’ll send you a secure support message through your account.
- We may call you, but we’ll identify ourselves as Simple and will call from our regular number 888-248-0632. We’ll need to verify your identity before we can discuss anything about your account or application. We’ll generally try to verify your identity with a text message first, and we’ll never ask you for your account number, debit card number, or full social security number. We will also never ask you to change any of your information. If you ever get a call asking you for these details or changes, do not take action and make sure to give us a call right away.
- If any of your information is accidentally exposed, or you think you may be a victim of identity theft, check out this great guide by the Federal Trade Commission. It offers tons of specific, expert advice.
1. Visa's Zero Liability Policy covers U.S.-issued cards and does not apply to certain commercial card transactions, or any transactions not processed by Visa. You must notify your financial institution immediately of any unauthorized use. For specific restrictions, limitations and other details, please consult your issuer.