Verify Your Address
Verifying your address with documents
It's possible that we'll need to verify your current address before updating it or mailing a new card. This is a security measure to reduce the risk of identity theft.
If we do need documentation, there are two options: you can send us a document verifying your current address, or a photo of yourself at your current address plus a piece of current photo ID (even if the ID has an outdated address).
Option one: photos
Send us a photo of yourself standing outside your current residential address and holding a piece of government-issued photo ID (like a driver's license, a state-issued ID, or a passport), plus another close-up photo of the ID. The address on the photo ID doesn't matter.
We'll be using these photos to verify your location and identity, so there are a few requirements to keep in mind:
- The images must be clear, well-focused, and taken in good natural light.
- We need to see the house or building numbers in the background, and they have to match the numbers we're verifying.
- If you live in an apartment, we also need to see the apartment numbers (so you might need to send us an extra photo—one of you in front of the apartment, the other in front of the building).
Option two: documents
Send us one document with your complete current address from the following list.
- A current photo ID, such as a:
- State-issued driver's license
- Driver's permit
- State ID card
- Military ID
- Please note: we're not able to accept temporary IDs.
- Or any of the following documents, as long as they're current:
- Utility bill dated within the past 60 days (please note: we cannot accept mobile phone bills, but we can accept internet or landline bills)
- Lease agreement (Negotiated within the past year; month-to-month leases must be negotiated within the past 6 months. Leases must include the terms and be signed by the lessor and lessee)
- Signed mortgage agreement (signed, and dated within the last 60 days)
- NYC ID card
- Tuition statement (for college or university students only; must include your dorm address, the date, and the school contact information)
- Clear photos and PDFs are fine; we cannot accept screenshots or scans.
- All documents must be current. IDs cannot be expired, and monthly bills or statements should have been issued within the past 60 days.
- We need to see all four corners of the document, and the information we need to verify must be clearly visible.
- If you're using a photo ID, please send us images of both the front and back.
- If the document has a signature, it must be hand-signed. We cannot accept electronic signatures (with the exception of leases, where electronic signatures are acceptable).
- Government-issued documents (such as a state-issued ID or passports) must be in color. We can accept black-and-white photos or PDFs of other documents, such as utility bills.
Sending them in
Email the documents to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. It usually takes us a couple of business days to review them and get back to you. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to give us a call at 888-248-0632 or .
Please note: if the document happens to have your Social Security number on it, please give us a call or send us a support message before sending it. We can help you submit it securely.