Verifying Documents

Verifying Documents

When you apply for a Simple account, we'll attempt to verify your identity automatically. If we're not able to do so, we'll ask you to upload some verifying documents. You'll find a list of exactly what documents we need within your application.

Document requirements

  • All documents must be current. IDs cannot be expired, and monthly bills or statements should have been issued within the past 60 days.
  • Clear photos are necessary; we cannot accept screenshots, scans, or PDFs.
  • We need to see all four corners of the document, and the information we need to verify must be clearly visible. For passports, please make sure that we can see all four corners of the top and bottom pages.
  • If you're using a photo ID, please note that we cannot accept temporary IDs.
  • If the document has a signature, it must be hand-signed. We cannot accept electronic signatures (with the exception of leases, where electronic signatures are acceptable).
  • Government-issued documents (such as a state-issued ID, Social Security card, passport, or birth certificate) must be in color. We can accept black-and-white images of other documents, such as utility bills.

Verifying your name

To verify your name, send us a current document from the following list:

  • A current driver's license
  • A current driver's permit with a photo
  • A current state photo ID card
  • A current, signed U.S. passport or a U.S. passport card
  • A marriage license or divorce decree (this must have your new legal name on it, and it must show a name change occurred)
  • A court order for the name change

Verifying your date of birth

We can accept a birth certificate state or government-issued photo ID, including:

  • A current driver's license
  • A current driver's permit with a photo
  • A current state photo ID card
  • A current, signed U.S. passport or a U.S. passport card
  • Your birth certificate

Verifying your address

There are two options for verifying your address: you can send us a document verifying your current address, or a photo of yourself at your current address plus a piece of current photo ID (even if the ID has an outdated address).

Option one: photos

Send us a photo of yourself standing outside your current residence and holding a piece of government-issued photo ID (like a driver's license, a state-issued ID, or a passport), plus another close-up photo of the ID. The address on the photo ID doesn't matter.

We'll be using these photos to verify your location and identity, so there are a few requirements to keep in mind:

  • The images must be clear, well-focused, and taken in good natural light.
  • We need to see the house or building numbers in the background, and they have to match the numbers we're verifying.
    • If you live in an apartment, we also need to see the apartment numbers (so you might need to send us an extra photo—one of you in front of the apartment, the other in front of the building).
Option two: documents

Send us one document from the following list, with your complete current address.

  • A current photo ID, such as a:
    • State-issued driver's license
    • Driver's permit
    • State ID card
    • Please note: we're not able to accept temporary IDs.

  • Or any of the following documents, as long as they're current:
    • Utility bill dated within the past 60 days (please note: we cannot accept mobile phone bills)
    • Lease agreement (Negotiated within the past year; month-to-month leases must be negotiated within the past 6 months. Leases must include the terms and be signed by the lessor and lessee)
    • Signed mortgage agreement (signed, and dated within the last 60 days)
    • NYC ID card
    • College tuition statement (this must be for the current term)
  • Verifying your Social Security number

    We can accept:

    • A signed Social Security card
    • An IRS form W-2 or 1099 dated within the past 5 years. It must show your full SSN.

    Verifying your identity

    If we need to verify your identity, your application will describe exactly what documents we need. Typically, we'll need a piece of photo ID, and we may also need a photo of you standing outside your current address.

Did you find this article helpful? Yes / No
Aw man. Thanks for letting us know!